Oquirrh Elementary, located on West Jordan City’s northwest side, is a neighborhood school in a beautiful residential area. The school serves about 500 students in Kindergarten through sixth grade.
Mission Statement: Our mission is to empower students to excel academically, socially, and emotionally in a positive, safe, and caring environment.
• Oquirrh Elementary is dedicated to school improvement by providing all students with effective instruction using the Utah State Core Curriculum.
• At Oquirrh Elementary, we believe that all students’ needs are individual, and we will provide differentiated instruction to meet those needs.
• As teams of professionals, we will work with colleagues and support one another in an honest, forthright, and trusting environment.
The Oquirrh staff is committed to providing students with a safe and caring learning environment where students are given a good foundation in basic skills and then are encouraged to achieve high levels of academic performance. Students receive many opportunities to enable them to grow academically, socially and emotionally.
- Oquirrh Elementary serves approximately 500 students from kindergarten through sixth grade.
- The school features self-contained classrooms, a centrally located media center, a spacious gym with a stage area, and an up-to-date computer lab. Each classroom is equipped with audio enhancement, a document camera, Apple TV, and a digital projection system. Chromebooks are also available for individual student use in each classroom.
- This school was originally opened in 1979. Because of a fire, it was rebuilt and reopened in February 1996.
- Oquirrh is on a traditional nine-month school calendar. School begins at 8:55 a.m. and ends at 3:35 p.m. Monday through Thursday and begins at 8:55 a.m. and ends at 1:00 p.m. on Fridays.
- Instruction in each grade follows the Utah State Core Standards.
- Oquirrh accesses federal Title I funds, which provide the school with additional resources and programs to meet student needs.
- Our computer lab gives students opportunities to learn keyboarding and word processing skills and opportunities for individual and project-based activities in technology. Our lab also offers supportive software in language arts and math as well as software specifically designed for English language learners.
- Oquirrh offers a nutritious breakfast and hot lunch program each school day. Free and/or reduced rate breakfast and lunches are available to students in need.
Staff and Students:
- Oquirrh is a Professional Learning Community where staff work collaboratively in teams to meet individual student learning needs by providing additional support, intervention, and enrichment.
- Oquirrh features a staff of highly-qualified teachers and education support professionals. Many staff members also have advanced degrees and endorsements beyond the required certifications. Teachers continually participate in professional development opportunities to improve instructional skills and are evaluated on a regular basis to maintain and encourage high quality instruction.
- Teachers also collaborate weekly in Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) to ensure that all students’ learning needs are being met by providing additional support, intervention, and enrichment. Resource/special education teachers, a speech-language pathologist, and guidance counselor are available to offer a variety of services to our students with special learning needs. In addition, many classified employees serve in various positions in the school to provide students with the support services that promote learning and maximize student success.
- Oquirrh’s staff is committed to providing students with a safe and nurturing learning environment. Students receive many opportunities to grow academically, socially, and emotionally. The Utah State Core Standards are the foundation of classroom instruction.
- Additional activities offered include participation in a Student Leadership Team, Safety Patrol, PTA Reflections, Science Fair, Presidential Physical Fitness Program, Math, Literacy, STEM and Art Nights.
- Oquirrh uses a program called Move This World, where students participate in daily exercises that teach social emotional skills such as self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and decision making.
- Oquirrh features a fully-staffed Wellness Center, where all students can visit to proactively manage their emotions in positive and healthy ways.
- Oquirrh provides additional supports for students through a school psychologist, a social worker, a speech and language pathologist, and special education staff.
- Oquirrh follows Jordan School District policies, including dress, attendance, and conduct standards.
- Most Oquirrh students live within walking distance of the school.
- Oquirrh students who live 1.5 miles or more from the school have access to district busing services with a few space-available bus passes available to students near this area.
- Oquirrh has an active PTA; these parents/volunteers are important assets to the school and provide many hours of valuable service to the school each year and help provide much appreciated enrichment activities for the students.
- Oquirrh’s School Community Council (comprised of parents/guardians of students, teachers, and the principal) assists with planning school-wide projects and regularly gives input on important school issues including use of school trust land money from the state.
- Visitors and school volunteers are welcome at Oquirrh and are required to check in at the office upon arrival. Volunteers are always welcome and appreciated.
- Oquirrh’s school community is dedicated to supporting families and providing high-quality educational experiences.