The Oquirrh staff is committed to providing students with a safe and caring learning environment where students are given a good foundation in basic skills and then are encouraged to achieve high levels of academic performance. Students receive many opportunities to enable them to grow academically, socially and emotionally.
- Oquirrh Elementary serves approximately 450 students from kindergarten through sixth grade.
- The school features self-contained classrooms, a centrally located media center, a spacious gym with a stage area, and an up-to-date computer lab. Each classroom is equipped with audio enhancement, a document camera, Apple TV, and a digital projection system. Mobile Chromebook labs are also available for student use in each grade. This school was originally opened in 1979. Because of a fire, it was rebuilt and reopened in February 1995.
- Oquirrh is on a traditional nine-month school calendar. School begins at 8:40 a.m. and ends at 3:20 p.m. Monday through Thursday and begins at 8:40 a.m. and ends at 12:45 p.m. on Fridays.
- The teacher/pupil ratio is 1 to 22.2 in kindergarten, 1 to 22.4 in grades one, two and three, and 1 to 26.4 in grades four, five and six. Actual class sizes may vary from year to year.
- Instruction in each grade follows the Utah State Core Standards.
- Oquirrh is able to access Title I funds, enabling the school to provide additional resources and programs to meet the needs of our students.
- Our computer lab gives students opportunities to learn keyboarding and word processing skills and opportunities for individual and project-based activities in technology. Our lab also offers supportive software in language arts and math as well as software specifically designed for English language learners.
- Oquirrh offers a nutritious breakfast and hot lunch program each school day. Free and/or reduced rate breakfast and lunches are available to students in need.
Staff and Students:
- The faculty includes both new and experienced highly-qualified teachers and professionals. Many staff members also have advanced teaching degrees and special endorsements beyond the required teaching certificate. Teachers continually participate in professional development courses to improve instructional skills and are evaluated on a regular basis to maintain and encourage high quality instruction. Teachers also collaborate weekly in Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) to ensure that all students’ learning needs are being met by providing additional support, intervention, and enrichment. Resource/special education teachers, a speech-language pathologist, and guidance counselor are available to offer a variety of services to our students with special learning needs. In addition, many classified employees serve in various positions in the school to provide students with the support services that promote learning and maximize student success.
- Additional activities offered include participation in Student Council, Safety Patrol, PTA Reflections, Science Fair, Presidential Physical Fitness Program, Math and Literacy Nights, and Cultural Day.
- Oquirrh has established a positive school-wide behavior plan that focuses on the prevention of problem behaviors, and supports positive behavior.
- The school adheres to Jordan School District dress, attendance, and discipline standards.
- Most Oquirrh students live within walking distance of the school. One bus is provided for students living 1.5 miles or more from the school with a few space-available bus passes available to students near this area.
- Oquirrh has an active PTA; these parents/volunteers are important assets to the school and provide many hours of valuable service to the school each year and help provide much appreciated enrichment activities for the students.
- Oquirrh’s School Community Council (comprised of parents/guardians of students, teachers, and the principal) assists with planning school-wide projects and regularly gives input on important school issues including use of school trust land money from the state.
- Visitors and school volunteers are welcome at Oquirrh and are required to check in at the office upon arrival. Volunteers are always welcome and appreciated.